Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pork 'N Coke

This is an adaptation of a "Ham 'N Cola" recipe that my sister-in-law gave to me (Thanks Nicole!).  I struggle finding crock pot recipes that can cook for 10-12 hours.  Because of my location, the distance to work, and the fact that I carpool with Lance, we're gone from 7:30am until 6:00pm most days.

The sauce ingredients scared me a little bit, but it turned out amazing!  Lance said it had a teriyaki taste to it.  I can't really put a finger on what it tastes like, but it's sweet, slightly spicy and insanely delicious.

Pork 'N Coke

INGREDIENTS:
For the ROAST:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground mustard (or dry mustard)
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1 1/2 cups Coke
3-4 lb pork roast (I use frozen so I can cook it longer.... tricksy!)

For the SAUCE:
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 cup Coke
1 TB cornstarch


Can I just say that I HATE, HATE, HATE horseradish?  Good, because I hate it.  I think it smells awful, and tastes similar to how paint smells.  It is one of the nastiest things I have ever eaten.  I was going to omit it, but then I decided to give it a try.  Instead of going out and buying a whole bottle of the nasty stuff, I took a few Horsey Sauce packets from Arby's.  Brilliant, eh?

If you, like me, dislike horseradish, and you, like I, leave it in instead of omitting it, you will be fine.  You can't even taste it, but you can taste the tiny hint of spiciness that it leaves behind.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine brown sugar, mustard, and horseradish. Moisten with just enough Coke to make a smooth paste. Reserve remaining Coke.
2. Rub entire roast with mixture. Place roast in slow cooker and add remaining Coke.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 10-12 hours.  (If you want shorter cooking time, use a thaw roast, or, pre-cook your roast.  Cook it on high for 6-8 hours for frozen, or 3-4 hours for thaw.)

Once it is all done cooking (or once I come home from work), remove the roast from the crock pot and let it rest on its own dish while you make the cooking liquid into a sauce.

In a small sauce pan get some olive oil hot and add the onion and garlic.  Cook on medium heat until the onion has caramelized.  Then add the ground mustard, cooking liquid from the crock pot, extra Coke, and cornstarch.  Mix well and let cook until the cornstarch has cooked out.  This takes about 5-10 minutes.

Then serve!  I served  my gravy on the side of the roast, just in case Lance didn't like it, but you could also pour it over the top.  If you want a thicker sauce, add more cornstarch.

This is delicious.  I love it.  I am definitely making this again.

Note to self: Take more Horsey Sauce packets from Arby's.

No comments:

Post a Comment