Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Orange Chicken

Hi friends!  I've been cooking a lot lately, I promise.  I just haven't been very good at taking pictures and posting the recipes.

Not that anyone really uses this website besides myself.

Anyway, today I want to share a treasure with you.  This was so delicious!  It's not comparable to the Orange Chicken at Panda Express, it has a completely different flavor.  But personally, I like this one better.  Goodbye, Panda Express!

Ingredients:
2 lbs chicken pieces (cut into 1-1/2” cubes). You can use whatever part of the chicken you like, I like chicken breast tenderloins or cutlets.
1 ½ cups flour
1 egg, beaten
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Oil (for frying)
1 cup water
2 tablespoons FRESH orange juice (I used Simply Orange)
¼ cup FRESH lemon juice (I actually used Lime Juice Concentrate, since that's what I had on hand)
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon orange zest (grated)
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ginger root (minced)  (I used about 1/4 tsp ginger)
½ teaspoon garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons green onion (chopped)
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 c. water

Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture and toss around in the flour mixture to coat. Deep fry chicken in batches until completely cooked.  I don't have a deep fryer, so I put about a half inch of oil in the bottom of a saute pan or a skillet and let it get hot.  Then I add the chicken pieces, turning when they're done on one side, using tongs, and removing when completely done.  It takes about 7-10 minutes for the first side, then 3-5 for the second.  Just watch it.  When it turns a golden brown color, it's right.

In a large saucepan combine 1 cup water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Stir over medium heat for a few minutes. Add brown sugar, orange zest, ginger, garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil.

Combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens. If you're using cayenne pepper, add it now.  If not, pour the sauce over the breaded chicken, and add red pepper flakes.  Throw on some green onions for a delicious garnish!

I served some brown rice on the side to soak up the extra sauce.  It was so delicious!  Seriously, make this tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment