Monday, September 26, 2011

Really, Really Good Soup (Cauliflower and Cheese)

I'm not gonna lie, cauliflower, when cooked, smells horrible.  If you can get past the smell, you should make this dish because it is wonderful (and low carb!).

If you like potato soup, you should make this dish because it is wonderful (and low carb!).

When I go to Zupas, I have to order the Wisconsin Cauliflower soup.  I just have to.  It's too perfect to pass up.  It's too good to risk trying another soup I may not like.  This soup, is like that soup, except made in the crock pot.  If you're in a hurry, you can cook a non-crock pot version.  Which is good as well.  I just like to make things and walk away, so crock pot cooking works for me!

The Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 large onion, diced very fine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can chicken broth (if you want to go vegetarian, use vegetable broth)
1 head cauliflower, cut into floretes
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon mustard
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese

The Directions:
Put the cauliflower pieces, onion, salt and butter in the crock pot and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or on high for 2-3.  Once the cauliflower is nice and soft, pour the cauliflower mixture into a blender (with the center piece removed from the lid) and puree until you get the consistency you want.  You may have to do this in two or three batches.  Return cauliflower mixture to crock pot and add milk, mustard and cheeses.  You may also want to add more salt and some pepper at this point. Give it a taste!  Turn the crock pot to high and heat through for 30 mins to an hour, stirring occassionally.

My husband, who thinks he hates onions, loves this soup.
My sister in law, who hates a lot of things, likes this soup.  (I didn't tell her what was in it until after she gave her verdict.)

Picky eater approved!  Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment