Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Granola

My breakfasts need to be fast. Super fast.  I get sick of eating cereal all the time.  Also, it's waaaay too tempting to eat the sugary (aka dessert) cereals when I get bored of the healthy ones.  So, this week I decided to make some granola.

It's so easy!

4 cups oats
1/2 cup nuts (I used almonds, and put them in the food processor until they were chopped to the size I wanted)
1/4 cup flax seed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
a handful or two of crasins
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla

Combine oats, nuts, flax seed, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and crasins in a large bowl.

Place canola oil, honey and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute, then pour into oat mixture.  Mix until well combined.  Spread over a large baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and leave on pan until the granola hardens.  Break it up and store it in a large air-tight container.

I like to eat it for breakfast with some vanilla honey yogurt and frozen fruit.  You could also eat it with milk, or plain, or however you want!  It is delicious!